2020 Strategic Plan
I. Spiritual Formation Initiative: Continue to strengthen the spiritual formation climate of Southside Christian School.
Rationale: Southside Christian School is a community where students are encouraged to grow spiritually in their relationship with Christ. We want to meet the students where they are, provide them with biblical training that is relevant, and foster an understanding of the significance of service to others and the power of prayer. Because God has appointed the family, the church, and the individual to provide spiritual discipleship, we acknowledge and champion this vital role and biblical mandate.
Strategic Objective A: Hire a Campus Pastor/Director of Discipleship. (SCS Completed this hire in July of 2016)
- Provide pastoring, discipling, and mentoring for students.
- Provide crisis counseling and spiritual counseling for students.
- Oversee school-wide chapel and discipleship programs, and Spiritual Life Conferences.
- Oversee and expand student community service and mission trip opportunities.
- Lead, model, and train the SCS community to a disciple-making culture.
- Provide student leadership training.
Strategic Objective B: Encourage and foster students’ individual growth in their relationship with Christ, their church, and service to others.
- Develop and implement student-to-student mentoring/discipleship program.
- Implement small groups in chapel programming for LS and US to foster discipleship relationships. (ongoing)
- Reorganize existing service days to allow for students serving with their small group. (Completed)
- Provide additional service opportunities for students and staff to allow for exposure to local ministries.
- Explore creating a formal partnership with a local ministry to give students a strategic and sustained focus.
- Incorporate cross-divisional participation in chapel programing.
- Explore the possibility of a Spiritual Life Day for Lower School.
- Evaluate Upper School Bible curriculum to consider additional Bible electives and tracks for new students who have varied Bible knowledge. (Completed for 2018-2019)
- Embrace the primary role of the parents in their biblical responsibility to provide spiritual training and discipleship and to provide resources training and equipping.
- Embrace the vital role of the church and assess the level of proactive engagement of families and students in their commitment to their local church. Encourage this as a priority.
Strategic Objective C: Cultivate a pervasive and vibrant Christ-centered culture and a commitment to learning and exercising the power of prayer.
- Provide a visual presence of Scriptures throughout the school.
- Seek ways to foster sharing, unity, prayer, and other mutual support between the various divisions within the school.
- Begin a prayer and praise system to inform others of requests among the school community. (completed)
- Consider the implementation of student quiet times during the school day.
- Develop and encourage student-led prayer groups.
- Encourage teachers and coaches to make prayer a priority.
Strategic Objective D: Establish an international ministry partnership to provide strategic and sustained focus on serving others in the Kingdom. (completed)
- Identify an international ministry with strong alignment to the mission and vision of SCS.
- Form a partnership with that international ministry to provide strategic opportunities for the SCS community to serve over a sustained period of time.
- Establish student-led, grade level appropriate service projects.
- Provide and promote servant leadership training for students.
II. Culture of Excellence Initiative: Continuously improve our overall program to investigate and incorporate best practices, striving for a culture of excellence that produces life-long learners equipped with a biblical worldview.
Rationale: In a changing, global world, Southside Christian School must prepare students for meeting the challenges of continuing pursuits for the 21st century in higher education as well as a diversity of careers. This is accomplished by a culture of excellence that augments a dynamic, well-rounded academic and co-curricular program ensuring student success through the lens of a biblical worldview.
Strategic Objective A: Academic Excellence
- Recruit, hire, and retain qualified, experienced teachers and staff who are engaged in professional development in an ongoing basis. (ongoing)
- Provide curriculum offerings that prepare students for effectiveness in the 21st century.
- Offer course selections across grade levels to include additional science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) course opportunities.
- Expand the current Early Education science program.
- Investigate and implement additional course offerings, programs, and partnerships for 21st century learning.
- Explore the requirement and implementation of offering the Advanced Placement International Diploma (APID).
- Incorporate a variety of teaching strategies that build student achievement.
- Continue to assess and promote critical reading and writing skills across the school curriculum.
- Implement additional project-based learning techniques across all grade levels.
- Build collaboration skills among students through group learning tasks.
- Incorporate teaching strategies to help develop higher level thinking skills in Upper School classes.
- Utilize appropriate instructional technology to enhance student achievement.
- Analyze annual testing data to identify student achievement strengths and areas of needed improvement.
- Develop specific instructional strategies and learning targets to address those needs.
- Foster an atmosphere of awareness, partnership, and acceptance of individual differences for whole child development.
- Explore expansion of Academic Resource Center support services.
- Explore additional programming to challenge academically able students.
- Expand International Homestay Program (IHP) offerings.
- Expand the SCS Curriculum Guide to ensure that the scope and sequence is appropriately mapped with ongoing assessments linked to student outcomes.
- Expand Guidance Office services.
- Identify alumni success throughout college experiences and recognize alumni achievements in careers. (2018-2019 Priority)
- Implement an academic advising program in the Upper School.
- Expand the Sabre Virtual Library capabilities.
- Transition EE and LS Library to the Sabre Media Center. (2018-2019 Priority)
- Acquire web-based services and software to provide research resources for all students.
- Acquire web-based services and software to provide fiction reading resources for all students.
Strategic Objective B: Athletic Excellence
- Raise up coaches and players whose goal is to glorify God in everything they do. (ongoing)
- Hire experienced coaches who are also spiritually mature and qualified teachers.
- Provide ongoing professional development for coaches.
- Host regular meetings with all coaches for prayer and support.
- Equip coaches to incorporate biblical truth into coaching and to fulfill their role in discipling athletes in Christ.
- Expand fundamental skill development through innovative programing.
- Expand conditioning and strength training programs for athletes. (Priority for 2018-2019)
- Expand strength training facilities and equipment.
- Develop age-appropriate conditioning and strength training programs for various athletic teams.
- Add advanced levels of weight training classes to physical education department.
- Incorporate regular and consistent fitness training into all athletic programs.
- Research and implement conditioning and strength training techniques that reduce the potential for joint injuries in athletes.
- Compete with excellence in all athletic programs. (ongoing)
Strategic Objective C: Fine and Performing Arts Excellence
- Expand Fine and Performing Arts facilities and programing.
- Recruit and encourage additional student participation in fine and performing arts.
- Expand instructional space for band, orchestra, and choir.
- Increase video and recording technology.
- Develop school-wide fine and performing arts continuity.
- Publicize and communicate the fine and performing arts programs to the community. (2018-2019 Priority)
- Develop SCS web presence.
- Create appropriate internal signage.
- Expand offerings in the visual and performing arts.
Strategic Objective D: Business and Operational Excellence
- Make organizational structure adjustments required to focus on mission-critical priorities.
- Streamline and document business processes for critical functions.
- Implement off-site data storage/backup and recovery capabilities (Complete).
- Implement the transition from paper storage to secure, redundant digital storage by implementing a document management system plan (hardware, software, and processes). (Complete)
- Investigate job candidate qualification and personality tests to enable the selection of potential employees with the highest caliber talent and who are the best fit for the SCS workplace culture.
- Create data persistence for daily operations in the event of “minor” events, such as a power outage, to insure that instructional and business activities are not interrupted. (Complete)
- Expand the SCS recycling program.
- Upgrade enterprise-wide building management software (door system, room reservation system, lighting and HVAC control system).
- Enhance the internal SCS help desk system to improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Create a maintenance database to enable proactive equipment preventative maintenance.
- Execute industry-standard data protection policies and practices.
- Enhance alerting capabilities for critical system failures, including network outages, HVAC failures, and power brownouts.
III. Marketing and Communications Initiative: Articulate Southside Christian School’s role as a leader in Christian schooling that attracts mission-fit families and students and builds a broad donor base.
Rationale: In an increasingly competitive educational environment, it is important that all constituencies and prospective parent partners clearly understand the distinctive type of education offered at SCS. We must maintain our emphasis on establishing a recognized and respected brand that attracts support from a broad donor base.
Strategic Objective A: Hire a Director of Enrollment Management. (SCS Completed this hire in July of 2016)
- Develop an admissions marketing plan that acknowledges the unique opportunities and threats for each school level.
- Conduct meetings to discern the motivating factors for enrollment at SCS.
- Create strategies to increase racial diversity to have our student-body reflect the natural diversity within the body of Christ. (ongoing)
- Create strategies to increase socio-economic diversity to have our student-body reflect the natural diversity within the body of Christ.
- Develop a group of parent ambassadors. (2018-2019 Priority)
- Re-energize Host Families
Strategic Objective B: Hire a Manager of Marketing and Communications. (SCS Completed this hire in January of 2017)
- Develop a marketing and communications plan that identifies specific objectives and target dates.
- Replace the current website. (completed)
- Develop and publish a school newsletter. (2018-2019 Priority)
- Increase the school’s social media presence. (ongoing)
- Identify methods for creating leads for the Enrollment Management Department. (2018-2019 Priority)
Strategic Objective C: Recognizing the expanded dependence of our world on digital communication, identify and implement methods that take advantage of this growing trend.
Strategic Objective D: Create broad awareness of Southside Christian School and its value to the community.
- Identify opportunities for SCS to participate in community events, especially those related to education. (2018-2019 Priority)
- Identify opportunities for SCS to invite onto our campus for school hosted events.
- Plan a 50-year celebration that invites the community onto our campus.
IV. Security, Infrastructure, and Facilities Initiative: Advance campus infrastructure to provide maximum tools and resources to deliver our mission with excellence and effectiveness in a competitive educational environment.
Rationale: God has blessed Southside Christian School with a beautiful facility that has provided a suitable environment in which to accomplish our mission. As our programs grow and our technology needs increase, it is imperative that we constantly improve our campus, facilities, infrastructure, and security to support our ongoing commitment to excellence.
Strategic Objective A: Continue to improve campus security.
- Investigate improvements to visitor reception area and to improve reception protocols. (2018-2019 Priority)
- Increase the number of internal and external security cameras.
- Improve security alerting capabilities for security breaches.
- Investigate the integration of door lock system and camera system.
- Increase the daily campus presence of law enforcement personnel.
Strategic Objective B: Improve information technology infrastructure and expand instructional technology capabilities.
- Revise and implement the school wide strategic technology plan.
- Upgrade phone, paging, clocks, and bell systems school wide.
- Acquire and utilize mobile computing devices in Lower School, with wireless networking support.
- Acquire and utilize mobile computing devices in grades 6-8, with wireless networking support.
- Continue to improve the “digital classroom” experience for students (digital textbooks, learning management system software use, student management system software use, virtual field trips).
- Investigate opportunities for “virtual” class offerings and live stream events as a means to expand the impact that SCS could have in the world.
- Digital signage, both internal and external, as a means of improving communication and developing connections with the community. (2018-2019 Priority)
- Continue to upgrade internet access bandwidth.
Strategic Objective C: Create and execute plans to improve existing facilities to support growing programs.
- Renovate the 2300 classroom suite in order to create two additional upper school classrooms. (Completed)
- Expand and improve the cafeteria to increase capacity, functionality, and efficiency. (Completed)
- Improve and expand kitchen and lunchroom facilities, including outdoor eating spaces.
- Continue to enhance the Mall area (ADA compliant ramp, display case, railings, updated signage and appearance).
- Upgrade Sabre Stadium lighting. (Completed)
- Create an additional practice field. (Completed)
- Build Sabre Stadium visitor seating and upgrade stadium restroom facilities.
- Update the Sabre Center gymnasium (floor design, bleachers, lighting, sound system, painting).
- Execution of campus master landscape improvement plan.
- Install improvements to the Fine Arts Center (LED house lighting, new projector, LED stage lighting, and improved audio controls). (Completed)
- Expand and improve strength-training facilities.
- Upgrade playgrounds for Early Education and Lower School.
- Install a new digital sign to replace the current school signage on Woodruff Road.
- Install display cases to highlight accomplishments in athletics, fine arts, and academics.
- Improve baseball facilities (dugouts, seating, upgraded lighting, indoor batting cage, scoreboard).
Strategic Objective D: Create and execute facility expansion plans to support growing programs.
- Conduct a professional site study and develop a ten-year campus master plan, addressing facility expansion, traffic flow, and parking.
- Increase instructional space for Early Education, Lower School, and Upper School.
- Create a plan for additional Fine Arts facilities, which includes appropriate educational spaces for strings, vocal, and band instruction.
- Add additional physical education spaces, which includes gym courts, locker rooms, and sports medicine spaces.