Board of Directors
(L to R) Tim Drummond, Norma Chandler, Charles Garcia, Dr. Sam Barfell-Superintendent, Bob Schaffner-Chair, Marsha Nagelkirk, David Swain, Mike Dowling
“We trust Dr. Barfell and his leadership team, and more importantly we trust God with the future of Southside Christian School.”- Tim Drummond
The Southside Christian School Board of Directors functions as a governing body and does not become involved in the day-to-day operation of the school. Recognizing that God is the owner of the school, the Board oversees the operation of the school by the Superintendent through careful monitoring of its policies.
The Board of Directors is comprised of parents, grandparents, alumni parents, alumni, and others who have been associated with SCS over the years. All members must subscribe fully to the school’s Statement of Faith and doctrinal beliefs, as well as meet the Biblical qualifications of church leadership outlined in 1 Timothy 3:1-7.
The Board governs lawfully, observing Policy Governance ® principles with an emphasis on integrity and truthfulness in all methods and practices. Guiding principles include outward vision rather than an internal preoccupation, directional leadership more than administrative detail, clear distinction of Board and Superintendent roles, collective rather than individual decisions, future rather than past or present, and governing proactively rather than reactively.
Board of Directors Ends Statements (Goals):
Southside Christian School equips students of Christian parents to thrive spiritually, academically, socially, and physically in the next facet of life.
- Students receive an excellent Christian education at a reasonable tuition cost.
- Low finances do not prevent enrollment for children from qualified Christian families to the extent of available financial aid.
- Students receive an integrated, biblical worldview.
- Each graduate is equipped to thrive in future academic studies by pursuing intellectual development and academic achievement to the best of their God-given ability.
- Average ACT/SAT scores of all students tested will meet or exceed national average.
- As a student body aggregate, the average score for every grade tested will meet or exceed the 60th percentile on nationally standardized tests.
- Students increasingly live passionate, Christ-centered lives as evidenced by:
- Rooted and deepening faith.
- Each one understanding his/her giftedness for serving God.
- Possession of an integrated biblical worldview.
- Wholeheartedness in all things to the glory of God.
- Bearing the fruit of the Spirit.
- Positive Christ-like influence and service in their church and community.