Board of Directors
(L to R) Matt Webber, Norma Chandler, Bob Schaffner- Chair, Dr. Sam Barfell- Superintendent, David Swain, Charles Garcia, Mike Dowling
Southside Christian School Board is governed by a self-perpetuating Board of Directors. Recognizing that God is the owner of the school, the Board oversees the operation of the school through the Superintendent by careful monitoring of its policies. The Board hires only one employee, the Superintendent, and delegates all day-to-day operations to him.
The Board of Directors is comprised of parents, grandparents, alumni parents, alumni, and others who have been associated with SCS over the years. All members must subscribe fully to the school’s Statement of Faith and doctrinal beliefs, as well as meet the Biblical qualifications of church leadership outlined in 1 Timothy 3:1-7.
The Board governs using the Policy Governance ® model of board leadership. As the name suggests, this model of governance focuses on the use of board policies as the instrument for establishing purpose, creating vision, empowering staff, and evaluating school outcomes.
Board of Directors Ends Statements (Goals):
Southside Christian School equips students of Christian parents to thrive spiritually, academically, socially, and physically in the next facet of life.
- Students receive an excellent Christian education at a reasonable tuition cost.
- Low finances do not prevent enrollment for children from qualified Christian families to the extent of available financial aid.
- Students receive an integrated, biblical worldview.
- Each graduate is equipped to thrive in future academic studies by pursuing intellectual development and academic achievement to the best of their God-given ability.
- Average ACT/SAT scores of all students tested will meet or exceed the national average.
- As a student body aggregate, the average score for every grade tested will meet or exceed the 60th percentile on nationally standardized tests.
- Students increasingly live passionate, Christ-centered lives as evidenced by:
- Rooted and deepening faith.
- Each one understanding his/her giftedness for serving God.
- Possession of an integrated biblical worldview.
- Wholeheartedness in all things to the glory of God.
- Bearing the fruit of the Spirit.
- Positive Christ-like influence and service in their church and community.